Hooray for summer! We have reached the end of the school year and this week marks the end of the work on the school website. We have compiled some revision resources below which can be used if you would like over the summer. There is absolutely no obligation to do so.
We hope that everyone has a safe and happy summer holiday. We will all be interested to see what the new school year looks like at the end of August but until then, thank you for all of your cooperation and support. We appreciate all that you have done.
Happy Summer to all the girls and boys!
The Junior Infants Team.
Tips on how to read with your child:
Links to online readers:
Click on the Teacher Portal and enter:
Activities for letter formation revision:
- Game: Help a Hedgehog ~ Phase 2 CVC words
- Hanging Monkey’s game https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=cv
- Slides game~ topmarks
- Garden Leaves game ~ topmarks
- Snakes and ladders game
- Car race
ch & sh can be easily confused so lots of practise is needed in distinguishing them.
- Jack Hartmann ch video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWg2uzAuSe4
- Scrath Garden ch video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JmCrl4FHj8
- Jolly Phonics ch song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieYAY2uXvtg
- Geraldine Giraffe ch video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyrYDitif1o
- Jack Hartmann sh video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfMtsRVZWfE&t=6s
- Scrath Garden sh video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqigJZm5aa4
- Jolly Phonics song sh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiTFrPBOkkU
- Gereldine Giraffe sh video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx2Tf9TE1bc
ch & sh
- Alphablocks video: learn to read ch/sh
- Diagraph ch & sh song
- Roll and read
- ‘I love to rhyme’ song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVophT8naUM
- ‘Rocco the Rhyming Rhino’ video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAUdQZ8Xivw&t=56s
- ‘Do they rhyme game?’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHroOYO1iOo
- ‘Washing Line Rhyme’ game https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=online%20rhyming%20games
- Rhyme Any Time~ Using magnetic/ paper letters put a word on the fridge or table, like "cat" or "top" or "bake." Then, any time you’re in the kitchen— cooking dinner etc, say "Hit me with a rhyme on the fridge/table" The child has to make 1 or more words that rhyme with your word.
- Rhyme Challenge~ whether you are in the car, dinner table, walking, it’s an easy game that requires no materials. One person chooses a word and says, “I challenge you to think of as many rhymes as you can for "cat" (more suggestion below)”. Try to model saying the given word with the rhyming word so they can stay on track with rhymes (Cat, bat. Cat, hat. Cat, mat)
For Gaeilge revision we would like to remind you to use the Folens website to access all of the resources we have used so far this year. The children can go back over songs, poems, words, games and conversations there. Please see the link below for the website:
Below are the extra work games that we used over the last few weeks for various topics. These could also be used for revision.
Cá bhfuil Teidí? (where is Teddy?)
Play the game: “Cá bhfuil Teidí?”
“Tá teidí sa ________/ Níl teidí sa_____________” (Teddy is/is not in the ___________ (Kitchen etc.)
Hide a teddy around the house and your child has to go find it. When they look in each room they should say
“Tá teidí (Teddy is) or Níl teidí (Teddy is not) sa _________:
(chistin/ seomra codlata/ seomra folctha/ seomra suite)
(in the________ kitchen/ bedroom/ bathroom/ sitting room)”
Play this for fun and then Mammy/Daddy could also try to find the teddy.
Number Activity Ideas:
Five Little Speckled Frogs
Shape Activity Ideas:
Measure Activity Ideas:
Useful websites and apps:
Scholastic Learning guides (day 1 for KG all about bunnies!)
Storytime from Space
app: Cursive Writing Wizard
Virtual Museums, free concerts, stories online and more
Health Habits Sesame Street
Daily Lunch Doodle with children's author Mo Willems
Khan Academy Kids online learning how to use
Interactives games and puzzles
Free Printable worksheets
*The above sites and apps are not in any way affiliated with the teachers. We suggest parental guidance when online and when downloading new apps. We do not promote payment for any of the above recommendations, there are many free sites available.*